Monday, September 04, 2006

こま切れの記憶

I just want to write this down so I don't forget it. If I ever find myself teaching poetry, I would like to do an activity in which first we read some poem in English with a very definite mood, and discuss how the mood is conveyed. Then we read some poem in a language that hopefully none of the students know, try to guess the mood, talk about why we guess what we guess, and then hear a translation and see if we think we were right given the content of the words. Then for homework the kids would write a poem of made up words designed to convey a certain mood that they picked. Then if they want to they can share it with the class (letting someone else read it) and people can discuss what the mood might be, or they can just give it to me to read.

Okay kinda random but it popped into my head as an interesting activity, and one I've never done in all the time I've had poetry taught to me. Hopefully it could lead to discussion of how a piece of art uses words not just to convey meaning, but also for the effect they have on the sound and rhythm, and how all these factors fit together to convey a feeling. Good prose certainly uses words very skillfully for pacing and effect, but I personally think that really powerful use of word choice and syntax to shape the mood and flow of writing is one of the factors that distinguishes poetry from prose. It's not a definitive distinction (because the line just is blurry), but I think it's a good start.

So I'm really considering trying to push myself to actually do something in Chicago next summer...help Liz organize a summer creative writing course, maybe even start a very very small publishing thing, and then maybe I'd also tutor math or something. But of course the prospect is scary because it would involve a lot of real initiative and doing things, to be trite, out of my comfort zone. But it would be so perfect if I could really get it to work. Of course there are little details like where I could live...(is it inappropriate to ask a friend who lives in Chicago if you can stay in her house for the summer? How about some random people your dad once bought an antique piano from who seemed really nice? *laughs*) And the program Tatiana worked at also sounds pretty cool from what she says...so I might look into that too.

At lunch today Jonah mentioned, among other things, a program some other girl he knows worked at, a summer math thing, in Washington state. (Summer Stretch, I wonder...?) Oh the temptation. But alas, I know I can't let myself go to Washington until it clearly could not be interpreted wrong. I have a pre-emptive restraining order. *laughs* But what if it really seems like that program would be the best fit, and I can't go just because it might make me look to other people like a creepy internet stalker person? That would be sad.

Ahh the horny moose. Ruth doesn't think it sounds like a moose mating call, and apparently she should know. But hey, I think it's close enough. Yay for the peaceful tranquility of midnight in the suburbs...

Okay I'm done babbling for now. Perhaps now that I will start having homework to procrastinate with (from? no preposition sounds right there...), I will start posting here more. Perhaps. I say that about a lot of things, like posting on the forum, reading, writing, doing Japanese, translating songs and interviews, catching up on writing emails...and then lo and behold, I instead spend my precious procrastination time napping, daydreaming, poking around facebook, or sitting in someone else's room chatting. Heh, oh well. So much for productive procrastination.

Speaking of production, before I go I will list a few of my goals for the year.

* Going to the gym an average of three times a week
* Not eating terribly (i.e. occasional breakfast, minimal french fries and ice cream, no big bags of potato chips in my room)
* Going to things--lectures, plays, other performances, concerts
* Actually actually keeping up my Japanese somewhat--not just saying I will!
* Venturing out of (again) my comfort zone a little bit in terms of social circles--that means occasionally eating a meal or hanging out with people other than just Katie, Eric, Mark, and Lucy (not that I don't love all of them!!)
* Starting to talk to math and education professors about a good way to handle grad schools
* Starting to talk to Japanese professors about possibilities for the year after I graduate
* Looking for some sort of tutoring thing I can actually do (hopefully with Katie or someone)
* Making myself actually do things like the research poster session thingy and other things like that that seem scary

Okay enough goals! *laughs* And now, some words from our sponsor...hide!

あの日見えなかった愛でるべき花たち
今日だまりの中首かしげ
それでもやさしく微笑んでいる

Invisible then, the flowers I should have loved
Now tilt their heads in the sun,
Nevertheless genly smiling.


まわるまわる
こま切れの記憶の奥で瞬く 
涙も雨も砂に呑み込まれて

Around and around
Twinkling inside fragments of memory,
Tears and rain are swallowed in the sand...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home