Sunday, July 23, 2006

Pink Spider

PINK SPIDER
by hide
(An approximate translation by me...)

Wrapped in a thread of lies,
You thought this small world was all there was.
Hurting everything that came near,
You thought the sky was square.

"This is all...in the end, it's just this?"
You said...that was also a lie...

Your gaudy figure seeming lonely,
The Bird of Paradaise unexpectedly came to talk:

"Get the wings of a butterfly, and come here."
"Beyond the sky is what you desire."

Pink Spider -- "I want to go."
Pink Spider -- "I want wings..."

Not listening to the captured butterfly's pleas for her life,
You glare at the sky.
"I'm not injuring you out of hate,
But because without wings,
The sky was too high..."

"You should use my wings, Spider.
You too, who don't know the heartbreak of flying,
Someday will realize:
You were only flying in someone's hand,
And you were calling that freedom..."

You can't fly skillfully with borrowed wings.
You go crashing down head over heals.

Pink Spider -- "It's no good."
Pink Spider -- "Though I can see the sky."
Pink Spider -- "I failed*"
Pink Spider -- "I want wings."

Beyond the sky you could glimpse,
Birds heading south.
"I will fly again, cutting this thread,
In my personal jet,
When that cloud passes..."

Pink Spider -- The sky is calling.
Pink Spider -- Pink Spider

The pink spider** flows across the sky...



*this word can mean failure or mistake, which seem to give slightly different connotations in this line, so I'm not sure which it should be.
**in Japanese, "kumo" means spider, and also cloud...so while in the lyrics this instance of it seems to be written with hiragana rather than the kanji for cloud, suggesting that it's meant to mean "spider", there is a pun or double connotation in the Japanese that gets lost in English.

Also, watch the promotional video here. Oh and I should mention, according to Lisa, "Pink Spider" is some sort of nickname of hide, or at least is known (thought?) to refer to him. I'd have to ask her again for more details about that, though.

Now, I'd have to research it some more, but the Wikipedia article said this was his last single and last video before he died, and that some fans think it was a signal that he was planning suicide. I'm not convinced, especially since he was apparently so drunk when he died that is almost seems whatever happened can't have been a very well-thought-out plan...but it is interesting (for lack of a better word), since I can kinda see why people would interpret this song and video that way...man, I wish there were some way to really know. I wish he were alive. Sigh.

Well, I have some interesting (if I do say so myself) thoughts about personality behind art, or something like that, prompted both by hide and by the Beatles tribute band concert I went to yesterday...but I don't feel like babbling about them right now, lol. So I won't. Perhaps another time. At the moment any free time I have when my brain is working well I need to devote to typing out that SHOXX interview with hide that Lisa lent me...eeep it's so long! *faints*

Hmm, have I mentioned I'm obsessed with hide at the moment? Ahhh, I love being obsessed...*happy sigh*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/25/2006 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home