Monday, September 01, 2008

Sunrise, Sunset

[8/31]

There’s some saying like “the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away,” or something, isn’t there? Well, God has decided to take away the wireless signal he gave me yesterday. Maybe he just somehow knew that last night I needed to chat with my parents to keep myself sane.

The point of this post is this: I’d had the thought a few weeks ago that this might happen at some point, and finally got around to looking it up yesterday. So here are the times:

November 17, 2008, 4:40pm EST / November 18, 2008, 6:40am JT (Japan Time...I don’t know what it’s officially called)

May 6, 2009, 5:42am EDT / May 6, 2009, 6:42pm JT

At those times, the sun will be rising in one of New Jersey and Kasumi, and setting in the other.

I also had the thought that while there’s something conceptually satisfying about the idea of finding the day when it’s the exact same time – so that the sun disappears from one place at the moment it appears in the other – there would also be something poignant about the days just before or after (respectively), when there are just a few moments when the sun is visible in both places, but in one it’s visible as a rising sun and in the other as a setting sun. So I suppose that would be, say, November 16/17 and May 7.

But meanwhile, May 6th is the quite the mystical date, isn’t it?


And because my cell phone is just this awesome, it is now set to trill an alarm at me half an hour before both of these moments, in case I forget. In fact, it’s now displaying a little icon on the main screen that indicates that it’s got alarms set and waiting to go off, so every time I see that icon, I’ll be reminded. ^_^

Oh, and sadly, cursory investigation (I was getting tired...) suggests that, not surprisingly, Seattle is too close to Japan for this to ever happen with it.

And now, I am off to Toyooka to meet a woman from TIA who will show me how to get to the classes in Hidaka for the JLPT level 2 test. And then, this morning I got a call from Yumi, the woman who showed me around Kasumi a couple weekends ago, asking if (I think I heard right...) I wanted to go to karaoke with her this afternoon at 4:30. Well how am I going to say no to that?

And then tomorrow, school starts.....

Okay, I couldn’t resist for the title of the post but I am not going to put lyrics from Sunrise, Sunset. I must be able to think of another song that mentions one or the other...

So hurry sundown, be on your way,
And hurry me a sunup from this beat up sundown day.
Hurry down sundown, be on your way,
Weave me tomorrow out of today.

Hurry down sundown, get thee begone,
Get lost in the sunrise of a new dawn.
Hurry down sundown, take the old day,
Wrap it in new dreams, send it my way,
Send it my way, send it my way...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home